Started Oct 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Retzius
Regular MemberPosts: 480Gear list
Like?
24 mp sensor poor choice for D3200 considering the target market
Oct 5, 2012

I had a chance to use the D3200 for a week and after looking at the results and playing with the files I think the 24 mp sensor was a pretty poor choice for the entry level D3200.  I noticed the following:

1. jpg output is soft at almost all iso

2. internal noise reduction produces a smearing effect even with NR off and micro-contrast is poor

3. you can get a better result using RAW but considering the target market of this camera this isn't realistic

4. the kit lens hurts the sensor results and considering the target market this is a poor choice as they are unlikely to use anything but the kit lens

5. the files are large

My overall conclusion is that Nikon used the 24 mp sensor in the D3200 as a marketing ploy ("hey buy this camera over the competition its got more megapixels"). They would have served the target market of this camera much better if they instead pushed the existing 16mp sensor to new levels of performance and economy.

Retzius's gear list:Retzius's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Nikon D3200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow