Started Oct 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
lpammann
Senior MemberPosts: 2,171Gear list
Like?
We are so spoiled...
Oct 5, 2012

Every once in a while I find it useful to step back and remind myself how far we've come with the gear that is available to us now. I was reminded of that Wednesday while walking in woods as the sun was setting. It was so dark, I didn't spot this Barred Owl until I was almost underneath him. I immediately turned around, moved back to a safe distance, and circled around looking for an opening to shoot. I managed to find an opening and got this shot with my K5+DA*300 hand-held. Image details: f/4, TAv, 1/160 sec, ISO 6400, SR on. The image was cropped to 3000x4000 and then down-sized for the web.

I could barely make out the owl in the viewfinder and had to rely completely on the K5's AF because it was hard enough just to aim at him. Five years ago, a shot under these conditions would have been very difficult, and it would have been impossible 10 years ago. We are so spoiled by the abilities of our cameras and lenses that we tend to take them for granted.

LPA

lpammann's gear list:lpammann's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +1 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow