Sony 55-300 Comparison

Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ValeryD
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
Re: The verdict...
In reply to jcurtistx, Oct 5, 2012

jcurtistx wrote:

After using these three lenses this week and seeing which lens I could see myself using more often, I am keeping the Sony and returning the Tamron plus selling the Minolta 100-300 APO D.

All three of these have their plusses and minuses but it came down to which one fits my situation the best.  As I expected, I can see that the bulk of the Tamron would be more if an inconvenience for me than the other lenses.  I have nothing negative to say about the Tamron except for the size (for me).  One thing playing around with all three did, was help me determine the best lens for my use.  I actually had the Sony 70-300G a few years ago and sold that - now I remember why I did.  The size is similar to the Tamron 70-300 USD.

Being that the Sony 55-300 is APS-C and not Full Frame, that helps cut down on the size and weight.  If I had a larger camera say the A77, the Tamron 70-300 may have felt better balanced.  Then again, I would have even more to lug around with a diaper bag in toe - LOL...

Hope my experience helps and if you have any questions for me I will be happy to help.  I will not be able to test the three lenses against each other any more, but I will have the 55-300 to enjoy and post photos.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

Sony A57, Sony 18-135, Tamron 60 f2, Sigma 50-150 f2.8, Tamron 70-210 f3.5-4.5 (Circa 1988), Sony 55-300 SAM

Thank you!

ValeryD's gear list:ValeryD's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Google Nexus 4 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow