Started Oct 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andrew Hodgkinson
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
DP2m / Ricoh DB-65 "compatible" battery warning
Oct 5, 2012

Having been through two different sources of batteries theoretically compatible with the Ricoh DB-65 and by extension the DP2m/DP1m, I have the following cautionary notes:

• The battery is more or less square edged and featureless, except for two notches at the same end as the three metal contacts.
  • One very cheap third party battery had the notches on the "wrong side" of the battery. That is, if the battery was laid flat with the notches upwards, the three contacts were on the left of the battery edge, not the right. Given this magnitude of error, I recommend only ordering from a vendor including a battery picture that lets you check the orientation of the contacts vs the notches and the polarity (from right to left if facing the metal contacts with the notches upwards: "-", "T", "+").
  • With a new, more expensive vendor, I was more careful checking over pictures etc. to make sure the notches were the right way around. Unfortunately it turns out they are quite shallow. The DP2m batteries have notches that run slightly over half way down the battery depth. The replacement is more like 1/4 of the way down. These batteries fit in and charge in the Sigma charger, but they don't fit in the camera - its battery compartment plastic mouldings are quite deep and require correspondingly deep notches. The shallow notch batteries don't fit.
From looking on Amazon photos, "shallow notch" batteries seem common. Presumably the Ricoh DB-65 and various other devices usually listed by vendors don't have such tight tolerances for the battery shape; reviews don't mention any problems fitting them in, anyway.
I've now ordered from yet another supplier where the pictures seem to just about show deep enough notches - this is the most expensive option yet so I'll definitely return the part if it doesn't fit!
Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow