Why does Canon not have an EF 60mm macro?

Started Oct 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
misolo
Contributing MemberPosts: 835Gear list
Like?
Get two lenses
In reply to 4thnebula, Oct 5, 2012

4thnebula wrote:

At the time I had the Canon 50mm f2.5 macro and the Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro.  I was, am still am, using APS-C sensors for macro and found the Canon to be observably better in IQ so I sold the 50mm f2.5 and kept the 60mm which I still have.  However, now I want to move up to FF but there is no FF 60mm (not a Canon one anyway).  A new modern 50mm macro would be great if there is one in the works.  The Canon 100mm f2.8 IS macro looks to be an excellent lens and I would like to have it for outdoor macro work but it would give me too long a working distance for copy work.  My paintings are getting larger and I am finding I am running out of backup space for my 60mm on APS-C.

I understand the Sigma 70mm f2.8 is excellent and that is where I would have to go if I go with FF Canon now.  I would prefer an excellent Canon.

If the problem is that you're running out of space to back away from the painting, it sounds like you don't really need a macro lens... (Also note that a full frame camera needs less resolution from the lens than an APS-C sensor: at f/5.6 and f/8 the 50/2.5 has more resolution than any of the 5D series cameras need, even if if that's not the case with an APS-C sensor.)

In any case, I'd suggest you'd be better off with two lenses: a standard lens for large paintings, and a macro for smaller paintings and for when you want to photograph details. The macro should be longer so that you have some working distance for lighting. As for the standard lens, about any will do: the cheap 50/1.8, the 50/1.4, the 35/2, and the 40/2.8 are all very sharp when stopped down to f/5.6 or f/8, and for all of them the area in the frame is 25cm/10in or less in width when at the closest focus distance.

misolo's gear list:misolo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix XP10 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow