DoF and camera distance

Started Aug 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Truman Prevatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,831Gear list
Like?
Re: This was already posted
In reply to corneaboy, Oct 5, 2012

corneaboy wrote:

I didn't intend to give the impression that I was presenting anything new.  I just got tired of reading the many threads where people argue about DoF, when some are talking about definition 1 and others definition 2.

Heck, this probably goes back to Helmholtz in the 1850s.

You and I both.  Everything you need to express the optics related to a camera goes back to the theory of geometric optics which was developed in the late 1800's.

Arthur Schuster, An Introduction to the Theory of Optics, London: Edward Arnold, 1904.

Of course when Maxwell introduced his equations describing electromagnetic radiation which leads to the wave equation which led Helmholtz to his famous equation for light propagation, that hung the meat on the bones of the ray tracing approach used in geometric optics for short wavelength far field propagation like light.

DOF is not a new concept and has been around since the late 1800's and it's not that difficult to understand which makes one wonder why people don't consult the mountain of references available. But that's another story.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow