Started Oct 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,232Gear list
Like?
24 Mp FF vs APS-C (D600 vs A77)
Oct 5, 2012

When Dpreview presented the Nikon D600 noise results I had to compare this camera against the A77, since I know the latter very well. Sure, this is the D600, not the A99. The results from the new Sony FF camera should not be that much worse, about 0.5 stop due to the SLT mirror I would think.

Here is a quick side-by-side view of the A77 noise performance compared to the D600 at ISO 12800. For further examination look at the Dpreview samples, and also look carefully at detail and color channel noise. Still this quick view tells a lot.

Be aware that the results depend on the method used by Dpreview, and also the potential of noise reduction with the RAW converter software. For fully processed pictures the differences should be less visible, still making the D600/A99 much better than the A77 -- which again is about just 0.5 to 1 stop worse than the A900!

The results show that the D600 is about 3.5 stop ahead of the A77, which is much more than I expected. Then the A99 should be about 3 stop ahead the A77, which is no more than impressive!

To the left D600 at ISO 12800, to the right A77 at different ISO settings.

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Nikon D600 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow