G1X vs S100 - How much Image Quality difference is there for real?

Started Oct 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GustavoGiacomin
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?
G1X vs S100 - How much Image Quality difference is there for real?
Oct 5, 2012

Hi!

I'm willing to buy my first good quality camera, and I came down to these 2. I know their purposes are different, they're not easy to compare, but each has their qualities.

Obviously the IQ of the G1X tends to be higher, specially at low light situations, which is really a turn on for me. However, a new G1X is a too expensive for me (US$650), so I'd need to buy an used one on ebay (about US$450), which is still a bit more expensive then a new S100 (about US$340).

My point is: is it worth it to pay more for an used G1X instead of a new S100? Is the image quality difference that big? Or do you think that, since I'm not very experienced, I probably won't notice so much difference between the images (or even I won't manage to use the G1X at its full potential)?

I also read about other issues with these cameras (S100 lens may be defective and battery sucks, G1X's focus is slow and macro is awful, etc), but my main doubt is the one I asked above.

(I'm also considering a Nikon P7100, but I'm pretty sure this one is not as good as the other ones.)

Thanks a lot!

Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon Coolpix P7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow