Started Oct 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
averagjoe
Contributing MemberPosts: 597
Like?
***WINNERS Mini challenge #361 Roads and Roadways***
Oct 5, 2012

Thanks for all the entries. I was interested in seeing how the subject matter would be interpreted, so I refrained from giving specifics of what I expected in response. You didn't disappoint. Roads can be something you traverse on a daily basis years on end, or one you take but once in a lifetime. Some are twelve lane monsters snaking through a city while others are but narrow footpaths on which lovers stroll through a meadow. They can lead us to something or take us away from it.  We can look ahead to a journey on them or look back at what we left behind.  Two persons can look at the same stretch of road and see it two different ways... or three. Below is how you see them. First the Honorable Mentions, which I restricted in number so as not to diminish the value of their recognition.

VABoater's #2, is exactly the romantic footpath I was talking about. It conjures up images of the tentative awkwardness with which young lovers hold hands on their first date as they pass from our view and leave us staring after them long after they disappear in the distant mist.

Don's Sunrise Highway. Ah, the romance of the road. Everyone had traveled this road at least once in their life. Perhaps not this particular road, but one similar enough to have evoked the same mood: getting an early start to a distant destination work on a gloomy day with the sun barely over the horizon, and hiding behind ominous clouds that could bring showers before our journey's end. We look ahead at the long uphill straight, knowing that once we crest it, there'll be another long straight stretch, and then yet another.

Don G's Kancamangus Highway with its vibrant fall colors. These is one of those roads we hold in awe as well as curse at the same time for their lack of a suitable shoulder where we could pull over and collect leaves of various colors with which to decorate the Thanksgiving table. But Johnnie Law frowns on stopping on the roadway, so we don't, and all we can do is record the memory for later review of what could have been.

THIRD PLACE: Millie's Columbus Circle. Although I think of neither Columbus Circle nor Broadway as roads, I figured since Broadway is only a "B" away from roadway, it qualifies. It also qualifies because of its unique perspective of a famed New York City landmark. For those who've not lived in New York City, any direction given to any west side address must include at least one reference to Columbus Circle, the same way as all directions given in Boston must include a reference to a Dunkin Donuts store. It puts me there right next to the camera, looking down at the endless stream of brightly colored cabs making the center of the circle appear to be spinning like a wheel with the traffic, and giving the image that distinctive New York City feel. I can almost smell it... but let's not go there.

SECOND PLACE: SteveP's Icefield Parkway. It's one of those occasions when you see the picture, but you can't stop, and have to decide whether to hang an illegal U-turn just to get the picture, or settle for one shot through the rear-view mirror. Common sense wins out, but when you get home, look at the image, and see the quality bestowed by the tinted mirror, you're glad you didn't chance a ticket, or worse, an accident.  The mirror's natural frame gives the image  a 3-D like depth , and the partial reflection of the car's side adds an I-was-there stamp of authenticity.

FIRST PLACE: Sueanne's Road Beyond. I admit up front that I'm partial to a well executed Black&White image. Working without the benefit of color to negate venial photographic sins one learns to rely on using the basic elements of light and shadow, form and texture, and composition. This image is a perfect example of recognizing a subject's potential, contemplating the various ways in which it can be presented, choosing the viewpoint most appropriate to include the necessary elements, and then compose and expose for the given light conditions. I'm especially impressed with the inclusion of the road, it's placement and the proportion of the image it takes up.  Hold out your left hand and cover  road with it: even though the headstones  and the forest remain, the image loses its story. That small portion of road, (about an eighth of the image) gives it its balance and punch. Pan the camera to the left to include more of the road, and it loses its delicate subtlety. The title lends it a thought provoking quality, and makes it this challenge's winner. Congratulations Sueanne on an exemplary image.

I look forward to your subject matter for the next challenge.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow