Problem with image stabilization on newer versions of 24-105 IS L?

Started Jun 26, 2012 | Discussions thread
NerdblurbSteve
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Re: Problem with image stabilization on newer versions of 24-105 IS L?
In reply to Gordon W, Oct 5, 2012

Thank you for posting this. This is the exact same issue I am having. At F4, the IS is amazing and I can handhold at 1/8th without any issue. However, as soon as I stop down even just a 3rd of a stop, I get blurrier shots with IS on versus turning it off. I've tried raising my shutter speed and it still happens. One thing I noticed is that if I shoot at F4, my focus point stays on target. However, once I stop down at all, I notice that my focus point is actually returning back to the position intended to shoot at once the shutter has closed and I can see through the view finder again.

I'm not sure what's up with the new lenses, but something about the mechanism that closes the aperture seems to work against the IS and causes a significant amount of blur in my shots. It's so disappointing and until I found this thread, I wasn't even sure its something I should report. I'll be calling Canon tomorrow.

Btw, my serial is 429XXXX.

NerdblurbSteve's gear list:NerdblurbSteve's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 24-70mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow