Thom Hogan DX articles and poll

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
thethirdcoast
Regular MemberPosts: 181Gear list
Like?
I own the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC...
In reply to David141, Oct 5, 2012

...and it is fantastic on my D5100. I plucked it off eBay in lightly used condition for a mere $385 and it's only issues are a slightly noisy AF motor and a bit more dust between the elements than I care to see in such a new lens.

The Nikon 17-55 goes for $1k+ in the same condition as my Tamron, and it lacks the all important OS/VC feature the Tamron has. Unless you're a pro, or an enthusiast that is shooting daily in tough conditions there is very little reason to shell out several hundred more for the Nikon 17-55. The Tamron is quite sharp across the frame, renders colors nicely, and the VC holds up well versus Nikon's VR.

The 5mm extra reach on the Nikon is irrelevant - that's what, one, maybe two steps closer to your subject? I might have considered buying the Nikon if it were in the $800-900 range, a bit smaller, and had VR.

thethirdcoast's gear list:thethirdcoast's gear list
Samsung TL500 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D5100 Sony SLT-A77 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow