Started Oct 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Larry251
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?
M 4/3 vs NEX system
Oct 5, 2012

I have been hanging out in the Sony NEX forum and obviously most people ther love their NEX cameras.  I got what I thought was a very good deal on a 5N, so I ordered one and it came today.  The battery is charging and I'm getting ready to try it out over the next couple of weeks.  I'm coming from a bridge camera (Panny FZ35) and an advanced P&S (Canon S90) and I'm not particularly unhappy with them, but wanted to push the IQ up a notch, especially in low light situations.  I like the large sensor in the NEX, but like all cameras, nothing is perfect.   The lenses are pretty big even though the body is small, the auto focus isn't supposed to be great compared to some of the m 4/3 cameras, there is no built in flash and although I can add an EVF, I couldn't use both fill flash and the EVF at the same time (the upcoming NEX 6 would solve this problem at an increased price) and I'm sure there are several other things I could point out.  Nonetheless, it is a great camera.

Micro 4/3 has an appeal in that I think I could get a smaller package which is great for travel and still take a pretty good step up in IQ.  My question (and I do have one), is how much of a difference in Image quality would I really likely see in day-to-day use, assuming that most of my pictures will be shared on the web or e-mail with only a small portion printed and even fewer above A4?  I would however like the possibility of doing a print or 2 at say 16 x 20 if I got something great when traveling that I thought was worthy of framing.

Finally, what are the feelings re: Panasonic vs Olympus looking in the $500 - $1000 range including a kit lens?

Thanks for indulging me

Larry251's gear list:Larry251's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 (Lumix DMC-FZ38)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow