E-3 vs E-30

Started Oct 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,377Gear list
Like?
Re: E-3 vs E-30
In reply to Entropius, Oct 4, 2012

Entropius wrote:

I dunno, I was a bit underwhelmed by the E-30 compared to my E-510. It's not that it's a bad camera for what it is, it's just that it didn't seem (to me!) to offer all that much over the '510. This isn't really so much of a slam against the E-30 as it is praise for the E-510, in all of its highlight-clipping tunnel-viewfinder-having crotchetily-autofocusing glory; that little old camera takes some fantastic images.

I have to agree with this.  I own the E-420, the E-510 and an E-5.  I like the pro feel and weather sealing of the E-5 and particularly feel that the viewfinder is one of its better advantages over other E cameras.

But at the end of the day, there's not much of an improvement in overall IQ between the higher-end Olys my classic little E-420 and E-510 cams. Compare the sensor data on www.dxomark.com and you can that the performance from the various Oly cams is just about the same, regardless of any other advantages.

The E-3 and E-5 present more robust bodies, that's for sure, and the E-5 and E-30 have slightly higher resolution, but it isn't all that much. The thinner AA filter of the E-5 is appreciated by many, but I don't think it's quite the improvement many speak of.

Personally, I think the E-420 is one of the sharpest little cameras ever made. With Oly's best glass ... like the 14-54mm f/2.8 (though it does affect the handling of the E-420 ... that little Oly easily outperforms my Canon 40D and Canon t3i.

- SteveG

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Olympus E-1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow