Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Allan Olesen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,487
Like?
Re: Sony A99 vs Nikon D600 First high iso comparison
In reply to The_Wicker_Man, Oct 4, 2012

The_Wicker_Man wrote:

No point, Allan

First of all, his methodology [...] is utterly flawed.

Well, it was not only directed at him. It was directed at anybody who wastes a lot of times studying perceived differences between cameras which are basically equal when tested properly. A lot of those are intelligent people who have just not seen the light yet, and I hope that I will be able to "turn" some of them.

The boring truth is that the differences between modern cameras with the same sensor size are rather small and will remain even smaller for new models. We are so close to the theoretical limit of low light performance that any further improvement will happen in steps so small that they will be hardly measurable.

Yet people seem obsessed by testing low light performance every time a new camera hits the market, apparently expecting that a new camera will suddenly take a huge leap forward in low light performance.

And the horrifying truth is that the methodical errors made in most of the comparing camera tests are much larger than the real differences between the tested cameras.That is not only a waste of time - it is destructive behaviour in my opinion.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
typoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow