D600 lens choice for amateur. Advice appreciated.

Started Oct 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tangka
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
D600 lens choice for amateur. Advice appreciated.
Oct 4, 2012

I am buying a D600. Actually I have bought one but is in the process of having it returned for a replacement. The only defect was the autofocus assist illuminator does not work.

What I have bought was the body only, thinking that the kit lens is, well, a kit lens. Now I am seriously considering the kit lens (24-85mm).

I do have a few FX lenses:

1.  Bower 8 mm 1:3.5

2.  Nikkor 80-200 mm 1:2.8 D

3.  Sigma 150-500 mm 1:5

I also have the D90 kit lens 18-105, Sigma 30 mm 1:1.4, Sigma 18-50 mm 1:2.8 EX and the Tamron 27-300 mm 1:3.5-6.3.

I shoot almost exclusively JPEG and use Photoshop Elements for minor touch-ups.

I like to travel and when I am home I like to shoot birds and wildlife in general.

I have thought about the Nikkor fast zooms but I suspect they may be too heavy for travels and the price is also giving me second thoughts. I have not actually handled any of these lenses.

The Nikkor 24-120 mm is also being considered but it seems a little expensive, considering that I could possibly find a used fast Nikkor zoom for a few hundred dollars more.

I am also looking at Sigma, Tamron and Samyang lenses.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon D600 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow