Sony A99 vs Nikon D600 First high iso comparison

Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Allan Olesen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,634
Like?
Re: Sony A99 vs Nikon D600 First high iso comparison
In reply to Ma55l, Oct 4, 2012

Ma55l wrote:

It would be appreciated if you would scour the internet looking for another set to either prove or disprove what I think that image in the opening post seems to show.

Several of us have tried to explain to you why that is a waste of time. But now I will try once again:

If you understand the technology you also know what to expect from this camera. My predictions:

• Low light performance
    0.5 stops worse than Canon 5DIII and Nikon D800.
    Expected error on this prediction: +/- 0.2 stops.
  • Dynamic range
    0.5 stops worse than Nikon D800 and 2.2 stops better than Canon 5DIII.
    Expected error on this prediction: +/- 0.5 stops.
  • Color depth
    0.5 bits better than Nikon D800 and 1.8 bits better than Canon 5DIII.
    Expected error on this prediction: +/- 0.5 bits.

My expected error on scouring the internet for random photos and trying to compare them: +/- 2-4 stops.

So the error I expect from following the method you suggest is much larger than differences which I expect to see between the cameras. And it is extremely larger than the error I expect on my predictions.

So why would I bother doing as you suggest? It is clear that it would be a pointless waste of time.

If you should compare three untested cars which you knew would probably do 0-100 km/h within a difference of 0.2 seconds, would you also try to predict the winner by scouring the internet for random, individual videos of those three cars accelerating?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
typoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow