D600: Mirror vibration & AA filter

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
justin_time
Contributing MemberPosts: 579Gear list
Like?
Re: D600: Mirror vibration & AA filter
In reply to brianjb, Oct 4, 2012

brianjb wrote:

So your questions/concerns interested me, so I decided to do a little test.  I mounted my D600 and 50/1.4 G on my Gitzo 1258 tripod with RRS BH55 head.  I set the camera to a 2 second timer (I do not have a remote release for this camera yet).  I took one picture with the mirror down, and another with LV.  The timer was active on both shots.  I took shots at the following shutter speeds:

• 1/50
  • 1/25
  • 1/15
  • 1/10
  • 1/5
  • 1/2.5
I took a picture of a water bottle that had sharp small text.  The bottle was approximately 2.5-3' away from the sensor.  I used an aperture of F5.6 which I believe is the sharpest for the lens I used.  I manually focused the lens in LV mode zoomed in.
At 100% view there was a very slight difference between mirror down and LV.  I do not believe that the difference was significant enough to notice on common sized prints.  Here are the shots from 1/25.  All of the pictures were pretty similar looking all the way down to 1/2.5, so I am not going to bother posting them all.  The files were converted using NX2 and saved as 100% quality jpegs.

This interested me too. I intend to test with D800 at the weekend (i don't have a D600); I will test as follows:- camera resting on a table and all shutter release via remote release.a) 3 second shutter delayb) LVc) no shutter delay, single shot moded) no shutter delay, quiet shot mode
The idea of resting it on a table is to see how much camera movement the mirror slap imparts to the camera. Hand held would only be a test of my technique.Maybe also try on sturdy tripod and/or loose tridod head. 
 justin_time's gear list:justin_time's gear list
Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow