GF5+14-42x vs RX100 for commuting/backup?

Started Oct 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 4,891
RX100

As others already said, it depends on what you mean by "backup".

For me the RX100 is the better "go anywhere" camera compared to any small m43 body and 14-42X.  Charging from USB is nice as you don't need a backup charger either.  Sensor quality is excellent.  Optically quality very good as well.  Buffer depth and speed are excellent.  I made a thin felt pouch for mine and it fits in a pants pocket easily - really can't do that with an m43 camera.  Focal range is sufficient for most travel/landscape/social shooting so lack of interchangeable lenses not too big a compromise as a "backup".

You said you were willing to go the extra mile to get a good 14-42x.  Be prepared to do the same with the RX100 - a fair number of units have had decentered elements in the lens.  So buy from someone with a return policy and test.  Keep in mind a 20MP you'll see minor decentering in the extreme corners no matter what, but a few users have gotten truly defective lenses.

The other mark against the RX100 is the price I suppose.  Not an inexpensive camera.  Also not like any other "compact" camera, the IQ is excellent.

I did still want a "back up" body for m43, and as my G1 was converted to IR and my GH2 sold what I did was pickup a $150 E-PL1.

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +29 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow