XZ-1: do you have problem with focus hunting during video recording?

Started Jul 14, 2011 | Discussions thread
supercxl
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Re: XZ-1: do you have problem with focus hunting during video recording?
In reply to rengineer, Oct 4, 2012

rengineer wrote:

Considering all major XZ-1 problems already addressed by the user community, I believe we can agree that (together with a lack of NR control) video focus hunting is recognized as one of the most annoying issues.

(BTW, just to prevent comments that XZ-1 was primarily designed for taking pictures and not for video: not to mention nowadays gadgets, I have a 2004. non-Oly compact camera that is still making video clips overall more satisfying compared to those produced by XZ-1. Is this to be considered normal?)

Although I have no significant complaints on video quality while camera is in manual focus mode, I still have a major problem with video focus hunting while in auto focus mode. The simple fact is that this problem turns XZ-1 video (almost) completely useless for me, since it exhibits constant and horrible focus hunting even when recording static objects.

Until recently, I had been hoping that Olympus will offer a solution via firmware update. Unfortunately, this ended with v1.3 update disappointment. Still, I thought there are chanses for improvement, but the only thing I could do is to sign a petition mentioned earlier on this forum - http://www.petitiononline.com/xz1vqnr/petition.html

However, what struck me the most is the fact that recent user reports mention this video hunting as not being an issue any more! Is this true?

I had been convinced that this is a problem of XZ-1 model, but now, considering recent reports, I am wondering if there had been some "silent" change(s) in XZ-1 production, an improvement(s) to new series of XZ-1 cameras that solved focus hunting problem.

If so, I am about to take completely different approach that just signing an online petition and report my camera as faulty.

At the end, question is: compared to “older” units owners, how many owners of "newer" XZ-1’s can confirm that they DO NOT have problem with focus hunting during video recording?

When I say “newer”, I mean those that came with firmware 1.2 or newer. For example, mine came with 1.1, now has 1.2 – not yet upgraded to 1.3.

I bought this camera in May from USA, amazon.... Still the same problem as you said... so what did you solve it at the last...??

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow