Started Oct 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,361Gear list
Like?
Another New Forum Complaint
Oct 4, 2012

I'm not against change; I'm just not sure most of the changes are for the better. I don't repeat what others have already posted, but I haven't seen the point below mentioned yet. (They may have been mentioned. There are so many complaints I'm sure I've missed many.)

It's harder (much harder) to pick out my own posts in a thread than it used to be. If I quote an image with a picture, I don't see any way to remove the picture from the reply. That was a piece of cake before. Now you end up with the same images repeated over, and over. (OK, that happened before, too, but at least you could avoid it if you tried).

And the new forum doesn't appear to address the biggest problem with the old one. If you access the fori from multiple computers, they don't keep track of what you've already read. Posts from several days ago show up as new, even if you've already read them on another machine. Really?  Commercial forum products figured that out about a decade ago.

I have to wonder if DPR even attempted to ask it's users what their pain points were with the old forum, and what they'd like to see improved.  We chastise camera companies for releasing cameras with poor firmware, but that's pretty much what DPR just did, too.

-- hide signature --

I've stopped thinking in terms of "equivalent" focal lengths on m43. 25mm is what it is, and what it might be similar to on some other format doesn't matter to me any more. We need to learn what to expect from our current equipment, not keep mapping it to the old. No one refers to their 50mm FF lens as "equivalent to 80mm on MF."

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow