Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ma55l
Contributing MemberPosts: 805
Like?
Re: Sony A99 vs Nikon D600 First high iso comparison
In reply to JohnBee, Oct 4, 2012

johnbee wrote:

Ma55l wrote:

How about we make a friendly gentleman's bet and chat when the camera experts render their evaluations and see if one can't use a combination of brain and eyes to predict (albeit without absolute precision) what the labs will clearly show. I feel that the D600 will have one to two stops less noise (not half the noise mind you) - but iso 6400 on the Nikon D600 will look like iso 3200 to 1600 on the Sony a99. Time will tell. I will wait patiently as Sony usually delays their release dates and obscures any official testing at the good sites like this one.  That is one reason that I started this thread  -so people can see what the manufacture is trying to hide.

Okay here's my prediction: 
Based on DxOMark testing, I predict the Sony A99 will score as follows:

SNR 18%: 44 @ ISO50
Dynamic Range: 14 @ ISO50
Tonal Range: 9 @ ISO50
Color Sensitivity: 24 @ ISO50

+/- .5 points on either measurement.

Understood - but you don't mention high iso noise levels. The D600 comes in at almost 3,000 for that from the DXO site. It is the second highest level obtained from any camera that they have tested. That is the parameter that I was referring to and at iso  6400 - recheck the opening post. All you mention is at iso 50 and I am not concerned about that as all the cameras are terrific at iso 50. What separates the pack is how good it can be at high iso - in this case 6400. I feel the D600 will be 1-2 stops better than the A99. Reformulate your answer and prediction and lets see how close we are.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
typoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow