An answer to "Why does my calibrated monitor look slightly off white on the yellow/brownish side?"

Started Oct 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Scott McMorrow
Regular MemberPosts: 353
Like?
An answer to "Why does my calibrated monitor look slightly off white on the yellow/brownish side?"
Oct 4, 2012

"Why does my calibrated monitor look slightly off white on the yellow/brownish side?"

So this is one of those "interesting" questions that I've asked myself ever since I've been calibrating my monitors over the past few years.  The answer has been quite a surprise to me.

I've been wearing glasses for a good 20 years and decided to bite the bullet and get laser surgery on my eyes.  I've been tired of wearing glass, and really never liked the idea of contacts.  I've also tired of taking photographs through my D800 viewfinder with glasses.  So it seemed time to try Laser surgery.  In my evaluation we discovered that my left eye has a small cataract. So instead I went for cataract removal and interocular lens replacement surgery, which occurred yesterday.

Today, even though I'm still in recovery, my vision in the eye that was operated on is amazing.  What is truly remarkable is my color vision.  In the corrected eye whites are white and colors are more vibrant.  In the uncorrected eye, whites are off-white and colors are shifted to a slightly yellow/brown tint.  After 57 years of wear and tear, it seems that the proteins in the original equipment lens in my eyes have discolored. I had no idea until I was able to perform a before and after comparison. My surgically corrected eye is remarkable.

My corrected monitor is indeed correct.  My eyes were not.  Now I'm contemplating having the same surgery done on the other eye.

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow