Sony 55-300 Comparison

Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
jcurtistx
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?
Will make a decision soon...
In reply to jcurtistx, Oct 4, 2012

So I only plan on keeping one of these three lenses: Minolta 100-300 APO D, Tamron 70-300 USD or Sony 55-300 SAM and I am getting closer to a decision.

The old school kid is close to being kicked off the block.  The Minolta 100-300 is at the moment in last place mainly because of the fact my copy often times has a slight green tint to the colors compared to any other lens I own.  I do like the size and speed of focus, but it is losing the go to lens feeling that I have with the others if I need to pick one off my desk.  Still a good lens, but just missing something - could be the longer starting focal length and minimum focus distance too.

The Tamron - ah the Tamron.  A lens that many people say is right up there with the Sony 70-300G.  I have not had it long enough to make that statement, but the optical quality is very good throughout the range and the focus speed and quietness are very good.  But man, it is a big lens compared to either the Sony or Minolta.  I know I have said this before, but size and weight do affect how often I may grab the camera with the Tamron lens and hand it to my wife or put it in a backpack for a trip to the zoo with the 2 kids (3 & 2 yrs).  Initial impressions are the Tamron is a great value if the size and weight of the lens are not an issue for you.

Then there is the Sony...  The SAM powered inexpensive $300 new lens from Sony.  By all accounts, for this price the optics and build should be ok - but not great.  However, I see myself surprised more than disappointed when I look at photos of just normal situations - not ones I create to highlight the lacking feature which is focus speed.  When it really comes down to it, if I need focus speed and accuracy I will grab my Sigma 50-150mm HSM II f/2.8 lens.  For portability and to avoid being looked at like Paparazi compared to the Tamron, the Sony would fit the bill nicely.

I plan on using the Tamron more today and the Sony to see if my thinking still holds on the size and if the real world focus speed difference is significant enough between the two to outweigh the convenience of the size on the Sony.

Decisions, Decisions...

Jeff

-- hide signature --

Sony A57, Sony 18-135, Tamron 60 f2, Sigma 50-150 f2.8, Tamron 70-210 f3.5-4.5 (Circa 1988), Minolta 100-300 APO D

jcurtistx's gear list:jcurtistx's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow