D3 + 70-200mm = jumping in at the deep end?

Started Oct 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,168Gear list
Like?
D3 + 70-200mm = jumping in at the deep end?
Oct 4, 2012

Hey guys nd gals,

I currently have a m4/3 kit with a couple of lenses and love it for travel and days out etc. I have tried shooting sports with it once or twice though and inevitably the focus struggled to keep up.

Now I've been looking at whats can be had second hand and have gone through the internal debate that I'm sure many have of "should I get the D3 or D300?" and have decided that the D3 would complement my m4/3 kit better (as well as using it for sports I could get a fast prime and do some of those shallow DoF portraits that everyone seems to love oh so much) whereas the D300 would be little better at this than my m4/3.

Now if I hunt around for a while on ebay there seems to be the occasional D3 that doesn't go for too bad a price (although not as cheap as the D300) and a 70-200mm lens isn't too bad, especially if I go for one without IS. Will I just be at a complete loss trying to use this though? I've shot with my m4/3 alot, and shot with film SLR's (and a DSLR but not as much) and am worried that I'll just get lost in all the focus options, etc. Are they really that hard to use in comparison to consumer cameras or if I sit down and work through it is it all pretty accesable.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Nikon D3 Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow