Moving from Canon 60D to a Sony NEX

Started Oct 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
TonyC5D
Senior MemberPosts: 2,041Gear list
Like?
Re: Moving from Canon 60D to a Sony NEX
In reply to Dead5pur, Oct 4, 2012

I have recently moved to the NEX 7 having owned a 1D MKIII and several L and other lenses. I, too, was always trying to decide what to leave at home since the outfit weighed more than my golf bag! I have the two basic Sony lenses, plus I have been buying up, mainly, Minolta MD lenses and adaptors. I now have 17,28,50,135 and 200 lenses plus a 2x converter all of which together cost less than £250.00. If I'm happy snapping I will take out the A/F Sonys but for "real" photography I use the manual focus lenses and boy, am I re-learning some skills.

My experience with the NEX 7 is that the viewfinder is fine in good light, pretty poor in low light but then you can use the rear screen more easily. Focus peaking and manual focus magnification is excellent but you need to search the menus to get it all set up properly. Also lock the ISO control or you will inadvertently alter it at some point. The onboard flash is just about useless and the movie button is too easily pressed by accident. I would hope that Sony will address these issues with a software update but don't hold your breath.

It would also be nice, as many have said, to have some preset options to allow you to quickly switch from one custom setting to another. Other than that an excellent camera which has re-kindled my enthusiasm.

TonyC5D's gear list:TonyC5D's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow