Started Oct 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Pelicashka
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
A dilemma: Nikon D600 vs Fuji X-Pro 1
Oct 4, 2012

I have not had any luck on the Fuji boards so I decided to bring my question here and ask for some help and insight.

Even though I know of all the pros and cons of each of these cameras and even though I lust for X-Pro1, as a happy X100 user, I still can't help but notice how much better the actual images out of the D600 look to my eye. I'm not speaking about the image quality and resolution. It's more like some sort of depth and a 3D character to the images and also the colors. They do look warmer on the D600 pictures, while the X-Pro1 files seem somewhat cold to me in comparison. It's not even the question of WB. Weird. What I did was search for photos from both cameras on Flickr.

Nikon D600 photos

http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&w=all&q=nikon+d600&m=text

Fujifilm X-Pro1 photos

http://www.flickr.com/search/?s=int&w=all&q=fujifilm+x-pro1&m=text

Also I feel like the X-Pro1 will just get me more of the same thing (by that I mean X100). While the photographs from the X-Pro1 seem superior they also look somewhat similar to those of the X100.

So to justify the purchase and to explain the "inconsistencies" to myself I have assumed that it all goes down to the following:

1. The X-Pro 1 is not a common choice of the pro photographers who prefer DSLRs, therefore the Flickr galleries are bound to have more uninteresting photos from the Fuji, including pictures of food and bad "street photography".

2. The Nikon obviously has a great range of lenses so those amazing photographs could have been taken with great lenses familiar to the photographers who have owned them long before the D600 became available. It also could explain a wider range of subjects and genres.

3. Is it the full frame sensor?

I don't own any Nikon lenses. I used to own a Canon 50D once and it was great for everything except for indoor low light photography. Didn't get much use though, I was too lazy to take it with me.

I'm kind of lost here..

One more thing. One of the uses for this new camera would be taking pictures of my child in incandescent lighting and low light situations, apart from the outside shots obviously. Also winter is coming and I'm thinking that I would be more confortable taking a DSLR outside than a Fuji.

Pelicashka's gear list:Pelicashka's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus E-M1
Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow