OM-D review after extensive use while traveling

Started Sep 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
gnewsch
Regular MemberPosts: 477Gear list
Like?
Re: OM-D review after extensive use while traveling
In reply to Rick_Hunter, Oct 4, 2012

I've been travelling for 6 months now, the first two and a half with my old E-PL2 and then actually bought the OM-D on Vancouver Island (in Nanaimo at London Drugs, first store in 2.5 months to actually have one in stock back then).

I really love the camera, started out with just the 14-150 m.zuiko and the PanaLeica 25mm on the E-PL2, then got a Pana 100-300 on the way to Canada and eventually the 12-50 m.zuiko in the kit with the OM-D. First thought I would be selling the lens on, but it's just way too good (in terms of versatility) to give away. It's actually my most used lens these days if I'm not specifically going for wildlife or night photography. The 12mm really makes a big difference compared to the 14mm, it's just that tad more WA that makes all the difference.

It's a terrific setup and I've had a lot of positive feedback from fellow travellers who either envied the IQ compared to their PnS or the small size of my kit compared to their APS-C DSLRs. I keep seeing people haul around their 5D MkIIs too, with the grip, a huge tripod etc. I'd rather take a bottle of water if I go on a long hike, to be honest.

Pretty much everything has been said about the camera so I'm not going to write a review of my own.Let me just say that it's the perfect camera to go on a world trip with: It's robust, weather (and dust!) sealed, small, not too heavy and incredibly versatile, you can use it like a PnS or you can make an effort and try to actually capture good photos, the camera will allow for both. Plus it will work with a mid-size gorillapod.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64095472@N06/sets/

gnewsch's gear list:gnewsch's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow