ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CBestwick
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?
Canon G9 replacement
Oct 4, 2012

Hi,

I'm looking to replace a much loved Canon G9 which, although I love it's base ISO performance, once the light starts to drop, struggles to remain usable.

I've been taking a look around and have seen a few cameras around £250, which is about what I can drop on one at this point. The ones in the running are the Canon S100, Panny LX5, Fuji X10, Samsung EX-1 and Olympus XZ-1. The Oly is current favourite but I can't really find a useful comparison to the G9 for ISO performance. Basically I don't want to buy a camera where its only benefit over my current camera is a faster lens; I want to be sure that the sensor is a step up as well. I've read that the Oly jpeg engine isn't great but I always shoot raw+jpeg anyway, so that isn't a problem.

Does anyone have any experience of the G9 and XZ-1; should I be considering one of the other cameras?

I did give serious thought to the Fuji but there doesn't seem to be any raw conversion software that does a good job and I'm pretty reliant on raw files for my workflow, plus it looks a fair chunk of a camera when I really want something pocketable. The other cameras are all a bit of a limitation in terms of lens apertures (S100, LX5), or lens reach (EX-1), which is why I ended up at the XZ-1.

Thanks,

Chris

Canon PowerShot G9 Fujifilm X10 Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow