New DPR site sucks

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Phil Askey
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,820Gear list
Like?
Re: You can still salvage this without reverting
In reply to Sammy Yousef, Oct 4, 2012

Because they're a team of n people who can only do a certain amount of testing / are used to using the forums in a certain way.  As soon as you release code to 100,000n you find all the holes, mistakes and preferences (and a lot of what I've read is to do with "what I'm used to" and "preference").  What makes the difference is being able to listen and make changes (although not knee-jerk, considered and by agreement).

Having done several of these big launches myself everything I'm hearing / seeing has been said before, and everything will be just fine in a few weeks time.  As Simon said the forums was the last piece of my old creaky code and it was the biggest code liability (and also the most heavily used part of the site, by a long way).

For the record I wasn't consulted for the forums redesign, nor did I get a preview of it but overall I'd say the team have done a great job and I'm sure they'll address all the concerns aired in the next few weeks.

So do your community bit and provide constructive criticism, but also show a little patience.

Sammy Yousef wrote:

Also if you guys have been using it for weeks how did you miss some of the bugs users caught in the first 30 or 40 minutes? Why did you decide to convert the database over as it ran, which meant that some of us were in the middle of writing messages that got posted for minutes before being wiped because they hadn't been converted? Why did you decide to go live when features available on the old board were missing. (A change of layout, okay but features). Why did you decide to rename the forums on the same day? One change at a time wasn't enough? Why wasn't there more consultation regarding what people did want? Why isn't there instruciton on how the voting buttons work and how voting for a post affects a thread? Why did we have to work this out for ourselves?

Phil Askey's gear list:Phil Askey's gear list
Leica M8 Leica M9 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-T1 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow