Started Oct 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Waltersmatthews
Regular MemberPosts: 186Gear list
Like?
A request to Pentax
Oct 4, 2012

I made this request two years ago a few months after acquiring my 645D and figuring out, duhhh, that it is heavy and difficult to take with you on a long uphill hike.

The D800E is, in fact, a very worthy replacement for hikes and, while I prefer the files I get from the 645D to the files I get from D800E, I would like Pentax to follow in Fuji and Sony's foorsteps and put together a medium format camera using the sensor from the 645D, put it into a small body a la Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1.

With a 35mm lens(maybe 40 or 45mm)  on the 645 sensor you would have an excellent small field camera for single shot exposures or for those so inclined, for stitched panoramas.  With a digital zoom like the Sony has, you would be able to shoot at the FOV of a 60mm lens at 20MP and a 80mm FOV at 10MP.  I'd have the zoom cut off at 3MP but ..oh well.

I proposed it some two years ago and don't expect anything to come from the proposal but I would like to have that camera for long hikes, up hill in the heat. My favorite camera before I switched to digital from film was the Mamiya 7II. Although I had three lenses for it I almost always kept the wide angle lens on it for travel photography.

Anyway, this note is by way of saying the Sony DSC-RX1 is indeed an interesting camera.

Waltersmatthews's gear list:Waltersmatthews's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Pentax 645D Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Nikon D5300 +4 more
Nikon D800E Pentax 645D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow