Started Oct 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Waltersmatthews
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?
A request to Pentax
Oct 4, 2012

I made this request two years ago a few months after acquiring my 645D and figuring out, duhhh, that it is heavy and difficult to take with you on a long uphill hike.

The D800E is, in fact, a very worthy replacement for hikes and, while I prefer the files I get from the 645D to the files I get from D800E, I would like Pentax to follow in Fuji and Sony's foorsteps and put together a medium format camera using the sensor from the 645D, put it into a small body a la Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX1.

With a 35mm lens(maybe 40 or 45mm)  on the 645 sensor you would have an excellent small field camera for single shot exposures or for those so inclined, for stitched panoramas.  With a digital zoom like the Sony has, you would be able to shoot at the FOV of a 60mm lens at 20MP and a 80mm FOV at 10MP.  I'd have the zoom cut off at 3MP but ..oh well.

I proposed it some two years ago and don't expect anything to come from the proposal but I would like to have that camera for long hikes, up hill in the heat. My favorite camera before I switched to digital from film was the Mamiya 7II. Although I had three lenses for it I almost always kept the wide angle lens on it for travel photography.

Anyway, this note is by way of saying the Sony DSC-RX1 is indeed an interesting camera.

Waltersmatthews's gear list:Waltersmatthews's gear list
Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM
Nikon D800E Pentax 645D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow