Started Oct 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DANdeMAN
Contributing MemberPosts: 912Gear list
Like?
Finally did it! D800E + Split Screen.
Oct 4, 2012

Was to lazy to take pics sorry. My warning to you is, no matter what, you will get micro dust on both sides of the sceen. One would need to do this in a vacuum not to have something on it. So, before you start, get a wet sensor swab and a soft make-up brush ready, you are going to use it - I did. The screen I had came wrapped in this sticky plastic (that leave some invisible residue on the screen?), so when dust lands on it, it sticks to it (static or combination of both?). The brush just moves it around, the swab cleans it up.

Now for the operation : (camera upside down) The metal clip was the scary part for me. I had to pull on it a few times with the included metal tweezers before it "decided" to free it self. There is an obvious bend in the clip where you have to pull on it. The trick is to apply enough pressure on the tweezers so it does not slip whilst pulling up and toward the inside just a bit. I did not want to use the plastic part(under the foam) in front of the clip as a leaver point for obvious reasons.

Then, turn the camera slowly and the screen (and in my case 2 shims) will partly drop out. Take that out with the plastic tweezers and replace with split screen and don't forget to include the shims. I'm saying this because I decide not to include them to see what would that do. It did not work, I had major back focus... Also pay close attention on what side the register mark goes. If the shims don't drop easily, you are on the wrong side.

So far, from my limited tests, the split focus co-inside with the green dot without the arrows showing. There even is some play within this "green dot without arrows" event so it was up to me at that point. In conclusion, I don't think that I will get any more back focus incident like I had with the Samyang 14mm early on. The only question I have now is; Can I use the auto focus center point? I will have the answer to that when my Nikkor 50mm 1.8D arrives.

ps; YMMV

pss; VF looks as clear and bright as OEM but I did not measure that with an instrument! ;^)

psss; metering seems fine.

-- hide signature --

http://w3.uqo.ca/gravelle/images/sig.jpg
D800E "The Monster" (07-2012) - SONY V3 (03-2005)

DANdeMAN's gear list:DANdeMAN's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +10 more
Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow