Started Oct 4, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gt mike
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?
A77 lens combination- zoom & macro
Oct 4, 2012

I received my a77 w/ Sony 16-50mm tonight! .......charging battery. I also have a Sony 50mm 1.8 lens

I see using the 16-50 as my walk around pic/video and it is very versatile. but would also like to shoot some longer zoom sports and macro with a fast 2.8 lens as well.

i was looking at 2 lenses:

• Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM - for my  longer zoom sports and wildlife
  • Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM APO Macro Lens - to get my macros which will also get me some distance for certain insects that cannot be shot too close.

The macro I like to shoot is flowers, but want to shoot dragon flies. i have tried in the past but once you get too close they fly away. i really want to fill the screen and get as close as possible.

i spoke with a Sigma rep today and they suggested the following: since i am fairly new to this and i can save some money at the same time and have both while learning.... Purchase the 70-200f/2.8 and use extension tubes to get my macro shots. I know i will sacrifice some stops as well going this route. i also read some using a Canon 500D closeup lens to achieve the distance needed to shoot macro with zoom on dragon flies ect.

i also ask Sigma about the 70-200 f/2.8 macro, and they said i would be better off with the 70-200f/2.8 with extension tubes. i am a little confused. any suggestions on other lens manufactures as well.

Your thoughts or experience appreciated - THX

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3) Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow