Sony 55-300 Comparison

Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
jcurtistx
Regular MemberPosts: 414Gear list
Like?
Re: The Tamron is here - how they stack up...
In reply to jcurtistx, Oct 4, 2012

So I had a chance to take the 55-300 and 70-300 to the park tonight for some shooting between swinging my 2 year old and action around the park.  To my surprise in real world use - not testing just to test, the Sony did quite well.  It was later in the day so light was not too great, but nothing about either lens really made me say either was significantly better than the other.  One thing I have noted is I like the colors on the Sony a little better than the Minolta and also Tamron.  I will say the more I use the Sony the more I actually like it more than the Minolta.  I am not sure what exactly it is that keeps me drawn to it, but I think it may be the handling and colors.

The Tamron is  a full frame lens so it is bigger in every dimension - a negative for me.  I need some more time with the Tamron, but I think I am leaning towards the Sony a little.  It is easy to get fixated on one deficiency and really try to exploit that feature (focus speed on the Sony for example).  In real world use, the focus speed on the Sony may not be as bad as I had initially thought.  I have not had enough time with the Tamron to judge if it is really better than the Sony in my situation.

More to come...

-- hide signature --

Sony A57, Sony 18-135, Tamron 60 f2, Sigma 50-150 f2.8, Tamron 70-210 f3.5-4.5 (Circa 1988), Minolta 100-300 APO D

jcurtistx's gear list:jcurtistx's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow