Started Apr 23, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Don Davis
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?
Very angry about digital!
Apr 23, 2003

After taking photos for many years with film SLR's (mostly Nikon), I was hesitant to get a DSLR because of all the "problems" I kept reading about . . . dust on the CCD, 1.5X crop factor reducing the effectiveness of my wide lenses, only 6MP versus the higher information content of film, etc., etc. However, after redaing the many helpful replies on this group, I decided to spring for the D100 which I planned to use only for a specific set of photos. I planned to use film for important family and portrait shots, and digital only for sports and general snapshots.

Well, it's been a month. I've shot hundreds of exspoures on the D100. I can download immediately to my computer, adjust the color balance, crop, and print the shots I like in a very short time. I've only shot a couple of rolls of film in that time, but the hassle of getting it processed, dealing with the possible scratches and damage to my negatives, scanning, etc. makes me never want to do it again. I used to tolerate these things.

I realize that film still has a great place, but for me and the pictures I like to take, I can already see it fading away. I love my F100! I like the simplicity of carrying my trusty old FM with only a 50mm and making it work with just that! Why did digital have to be so convenient?!!! I can't stand it!! This is all your fault!

On a serious note - I would really like to get the digital equivalent of my trusty 35Ti. I need a high quality lens, and mega-zoom is not very important to me. What would be the closest fit, in your opinion?

Thanks for all the great advice on this group.

best regards,
Don
...sticking with film, at least in my tag line

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow