Started Mar 16, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
William Finnell
Contributing MemberPosts: 718
Like?
How many MP's are enough?
Mar 16, 2003

Wow! So many different opinions about megapixels. Like everyone else, I want the most that I can get, but is there a limit? New technology will most likely stretch the imagination to new MP heights.

Like most, I see MP arguments on here a lot. I, personally, find it almost impossible to tell the diff between a printed 3.4 MP pic and a 4 MP one. I regularly print 8 1/2 X 11's (or 8 x 10's) from my ancient (and low pixel) UZI, and even more ancient C-3000, and they look nigh onto flawless. Sure, if I put them on the end of my nose I might see a jaggie or two. But who, pray tell, is that nit-picky? When you display your pics, do you do it under a magnifier? Who views pictures at such close range, and so critically (except maybe yourself)? I have yet to find one person who looks at my pictures tell me there are JPG artifacts or jaggies. Universally, they tell me these are the best pics they have ever seen. And most of them no less than 8 X 10.

I realize that by writing this, I will arouse the ire of some. So be it. But I think a WHOLE LOT of photogs are shooting for the wrong thing in their pics. To me, content and execution are eons more important than megapixels. Sure, it doesn't hurt to have lots of MP's, but even that will not make a ho-hum picture better. A camera with umpeen jillion features, (and the same amount of MP's), in the hands of a normal photog who just wants to have fun taking good pictures, is s bad investment.

In my humble opinion, MP's get way too much attention. To me, photography is the best of all possible worlds. It should be fun, not endlessly critical. So, is 3 mp good. Yes. Is 4 mp better. Maybe. Is 5 mp the best. Only until something better, in each person's mind, comes along. So, I say have fun, and let the pixels fall where they may!

(Now, flame away)

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow