Started Feb 13, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Forrest
Forum ProPosts: 14,666
Like?
Murder???
Feb 13, 2003

Tuesday night, we heard some fighting outside our apartment. It sounded pretty bad; there was this clanging, like a aluminum baseball bat being dropped on the sidewalk. Then people started yelling frantically. My girlfriend looked out the window, and saw someone laying in a pool of blood in the street.

The police showed up -- a LOT of them -- and so did the ambulance and fire truck. It looked like they caught some of the people involved, and spent a while searching for others. A large crowd had gathered on the corner; they interviewed everyone out there.

They loaded the guy into the ambulance, but it was a good 15 or 20 minutes before they took him to the hospital. I think he got hit really hard in the head, and I get the idea rushing him off to General wouldn't have done any good.

The Chronicle doesn't have a story about it, and won't tell me anything. The police will say that "an assault occured, and the paramedics were called in." But this is the Excelsior District in San Francisco; the police don't show up like gangbusters when someone is assaulted. I really have this sinking feeling someone was killed directly outside my apartment.

So my questions are: How do I find out exactly what happened? Can I get a police report, as someone who lives in the neighborhood and has a right to know? Will this get me out of my lease? I'm really uncomfortable about my girlfriend coming home, parking, and having to walk to the apartment.

Sorry this is so off topic. If it matters, I shot these pictures with my D60 and 100/2.8 Macro ( not cropped ). It was very dark, I used MF, and they're soft because the shutter speed was rediculously slow. I really could have used a 1D and an 85/1.2L IS lens for these shots.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
moveNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow