Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 3,029Gear list
Like?
NEX 7 and Sigma 19 in Dolomites
Oct 3, 2012

Going for few days on hiking tour in Dolomites, I decided to take my heavy gear - Nikon D800E, few lenses, tripod, filters etc.

I was afraid to take only NEX 7 and 5n as I did on my previous hiking, and that was a big mistake. At least my backs now think so.
As a backup camera I took NEX 7 with Sigma 19 only.

It was a great combo, considering trade between weight and IQ. Versatile and small, this combo stays in my jacket pocket most of the time, and I used it very often, being lazy to take off my backpack and settle tripod etc, every 5 minutes when I spotted something interesting.

There is of course difference comparing output files from Nikon with top glass and Nex 7 with Sigma, but the price in terms of weight and size is simply huge.

I don't know what I will pack next time, but in general, if I will go for hiking, expecting to see something worth shooting, I believe NEX will be just fine. If I will go for certain shot, knowing where and when I want to be, I will probably decide to suffer with the heavy stuff.
Here are few shots from this combo...

1. Early morning panorama in Jpeg (panorama mode). I was in such a hurry, that I forgot to set my camera to a decent aperture. But even at f2.8 and ISO 1600, I find this shot to be nice memory if nothing else.

2. It is a good idea to try sometimes panorama mode switching it in vertical direction (I did from bottom to top) and then turn the camera vertical, while shooting horizontal. I kind of like resulting format more.

3. I often used bracketing mode set to +,- 0.7. Not because I wanted to make HDR, but because in a high contrast situation, it gives me more safety that one of the exposures will be OK. And heaving all three exposures, I can use if necessary some layer blending in Photoshop. This was one of those situations, where I wasn't even sure, If I'd like to keep front rock dark, or reveal some shadows. I decided later for the second option, and it was great to have all 3 exposures.

4. Great resolution of Sony NEX 7, allow me to do some cropping when I found Sigma 19 to be too wide. This image is cropped by approx. 30%.

5. Great dynamic range of recent Sony sensors, are a real benefit for the post production. In this shot, clouds were moving so fast, that HDR will be difficult in that part of the image. On the other hand, contrast of the scene was just too high. I exposed for the highlights in the clouds, knowing that revealing the shadows should be possible. With my Canon 5D M II, I wouldn't be able to recover that much of the shadows in the rocks.

6. Finally, I like the tonal range and color reproduction of NEX 7 (even a little more on NEX 5n).

All in all, taking more lenses, two NEX bodies and using tripod (that can be lighter too, in comparison to the one for the D800E), I could imagine not to be sorry for leaving heavy DSLR at home.

What are yours experience when leaving DSLR's at home. Did you ever regret it with NEX?

Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow