theswede
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,936Gear list
Like?
Re: Here are sample pictures with, and without an SLT mirror
In reply to Dirk W, Oct 3, 2012

Dirk W wrote:

I agree partly

Really now.

but the parallel shift and therefore the chromatic aberration depend much on the thickness of the tilted plane plate

Parallell shift and chromatic aberration are completely separate phenomena with different effects. You have no idea what you're on about, that much is clear.

and the SLT is very thin, so that the aberrations could appear more like diffusion and cause noise.

Three separate phenomena which manifest in three completely different ways.

1. Chromatic aberration exhibits as a shift in color over distance in one or multiple dimensions, since that is what it is.

2. Diffusion manifests as mainly wavelength independent blur. CA will not cause this kind of blur blur. And finally:

3. Noise (as you have spoken of in this thread, which has nothing to do with the information definition of noise but is restricted to stochastic variation in luminance and chrominance) is the exact opposite of diffusion.

Thus, your causal chain is a vacuous mess. You really shouldn't be using words you don't understand in this manner.

Also spherical aberrations are possible even on a tilted plane plate

Given sufficient thickness and lack of homogenity, sure. Are you arguing the SLT mirror is thick enough for this to occur?

which could explain the loss of detail in the samples of the A55.

Oh my. It seems you are. You truly have no clue.

Then, as I said before, also the material has a substantial effect on the refraction:

And what effect does refraction have on the final image? Warning: this is a tricky question.

The SLT is plastic., i.e. has a different refraction index to glass

So are many lense elements. According to your "hypothesis" (it makes a bad taste in my mouth to call your gibberish that) that would mean modern lenses will cause, how was it now, chromatic aberration leading to diffusion leading to noise.

and, consisting of long and "chaotic" hydrocarbon chains

Using words from cutting edge physics does not help your case, especially when air itself is a lot more "chaotic" than any solid material ever has any hope to be, and thus will affect the light a lot more from that perspective.

also leads to more molecular diffusion than glass

You realize that "molecular diffusion" is just a fancy name for "opacity", right? What you have just described is a weak ND filter. Which, incidentally, everything which lets light through is. Plastic, glass, air, lenses, SLT mirrors, pentaprisms, you name it.

You're arguing that an ND filter directly adds noise to an image capturing device. Not through light loss, but through some hitherto unknown mechanism of physics which involves chromatic aberration becoming diffusion becoming noise.

Madness.

with its crystal-similar structure, which could also explain loss of detail and more noise.

No, it could not explain anything like that.

Sorry if I don't use the correct English terminology, I am not a native English speaker.

You sure seem to be a native speaker of gibberish.

Jesper

theswede's gear list:theswede's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony SLT-A37 Sony 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Huh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow