Can't decide 18-55mm or Sigma 30mm for 5N

Started Oct 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
timoat
Regular MemberPosts: 197Gear list
Like?
Re: I'm a canon diehard, own same 17-55 f/2.8, impressed by Sigma
In reply to 007peter, Oct 3, 2012

Why are you so excessively overaggressive? Is english not your first language? Are you trying somehow to bully people in to buying the Sigmas?

007peter wrote:

There is 2 argument FOR and AGAINST Sigma 30mm f/2.8 based on what you write:

• FOR - Sigma 30 will RAPE 18-55 corner to corner sharpness, distortion control, and CA

• AGAINST - posting this very question indicates you lack the appreciation for this lens, then why buy it???

The Sigma is an awesome lens..... In fact, it is the Sigma 19mm and Sigma 30mm are the only 2 lens that compare to MY   Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and Canon 70-200 F4 IS in WIDE OPEN SHARPNESS .

I'm also a proud Canon shooter who had over 20+ lens through my 7 years of shooting with canons. Unfortunately, majority of fast canon prime are soft at f/1.4 - f/2.2, most of them ( even famous 35L ) need to step down to f/2.8 to achieve a semi-decent corner sharpness. What good is a fast prime if you need to step down to f/2.8 to avoid corner softness ??? That is why I kep the [Canon 17-55mm f/2.8] and sold off most primes. It is:

• sharp wide open from corner to corner without excuse,

• provide good bokeh with sufficient background blur,

• doesn't suffer from severe vignetting like most canon primes

• better color saturation without CA

Sigma 19mm and Sigma 30mm have Share the same exact accluades as my canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS and 70-200 F4 IS. While they are not f/1.8, they are sharp corner to corner WITHOUT the need to step down to achieve sharp corners. These sigma pair are the most amazing NEX lens, they don't need you for validation.

Go ahead and buy your lousy NEX 18-55 kit lens. That lens is junk.... (sorry to be blunt)

If find you comparing a NEX 18-55 to Sigma 30 to be as insulting as comparing Canon 18-55 kit lens to a Canon 17-55 f/2.8 that cost $1200. In truth, there is no comparison, but if you have to ask.....then these premium quality lens is not for you.

timoat's gear list:timoat's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow