Sony 55-300 Comparison

Started Sep 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
jcurtistx
Regular MemberPosts: 414Gear list
Like?
Frustratingly difficult decision
In reply to jcurtistx, Oct 3, 2012

So I can say right now after using the Sony 55-300 since Monday I like it but do not love it. As long as I do not have to track focus on moving subects the photos are great. Movie mode is very good and the Sony 55-300 is quiet enough. But ugh when I have to track the kids running or moving quickly.

Since I photograph the kids more than I take movies of them, I think I am leaning away from the 55-300 reluctantly. The balance on the A57, size and build are great for this price. However, I cannot swing keeping more than 1 zoom in this range so it will likely be either the Minolta 100-300 APO D or Tamron 70-300 USD.

In my basic testing, to focus from close to infinity and back, the Minolta is 40% faster (1.5s vs. 2.4s) which is significant. That can be the difference between getting a shot and missing one.

It is with reluctance that I say that, but for me the focus speed is troubling. It makes action shots difficult not just for me but also my wife. If the combo of this lens and everyone that needs to use it does not make using it easy, it will not get used a lot which ends up being money not well spent.

The focus speed is looking to be a deal killer for me sadly.

I will use it more tonight and compare to the Tamron 70-300 but I am pretty confident the Tamron will focus faster and more accurately. Just do not like the size of the Tamron.

Could be I am being to picky about the focus speed, but it is not a plus I can say that much.

Jeff

-- hide signature --

Sony A57, Sony 18-135, Tamron 60 f2, Sigma 50-150 f2.8, Tamron 70-210 f3.5-4.5 (Circa 1988), Minolta 100-300 APO D

jcurtistx's gear list:jcurtistx's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow