MSA-10 + 5n = NO SYNC

Started Sep 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
pixxelpusher
Forum MemberPosts: 67
Like?
Re: What's inside MSA-10?
In reply to fotowbert, Oct 3, 2012

John, thanks for the links!

I've taken some photos of what's inside. When taking it fully apart you can see that there actually are a few components on the circuit board with the nex connecting pins on it. I've put an arrow pointing to the green wire and how it was nearly completely severed. I've also pointed out the screw that had severed it. If you look closely you can see that the white wire was also grazed by a screw as well. As mentioned these screws come off the top hot-shoe plate and are "live" so if they touch anything inside can cause a short. I accidentally broke the white wire off while holding the bits, but it didn't really matter as I was going to re-solder it all anyway.

Before I took it apart I dusted off my multimeter to test it and it definitely showed a break in the connections.

After changing the wires and re-soldering it all I tested it again with the multimeter, and the circuit seems to be working properly... well I think it is. Something I wasn't expecting was that when testing with a multimeter the hot-shoe plate to the nex contact pins, and the centre contact to the nex contact pins, only the fourth pin (marked) completed/terminated the circuit, I was expecting 2 pins would have been needed for this? Because if they are both terminated by (i.e touching) the same pin on the nex board doesn't this mean the circuit is already completed?

If anyone else can test this that would be great.

After reading about the flash voltage problem, I tested my old flash following these instructions: http://dpanswers.com/content/genrc_flash_measuretv.php

and it came up around 115 volts! So knowing that I won't be using it to test if my fix worked but will have to wait until I buy a new flash off ebay. I'm not sure what the flash is I have, I thought it was Vivitar, all it says is Viva 210 on the front. I just hope my initial try didn't fry anything in the MSA-10, (camera is still working fine).

fotowbert wrote:
pixxelpusher,

Can you confirm what's inside the MSA-10?

The OP mentions a chip inside here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=42623872

But this reported it had no internal electronics:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=42252142

Thanks, John

pixxelpusher wrote:

Have just opened mine up and it had the same problem as this, one of the top screws that holds the chrome hot shoe part down has severed through the green central contact wire, in essence creating a complete circuit so that's why the flash was firing on its own accord if i rocked it back and forward.

The construction is very simple, basically a wire coming off the middle contact, and one off the screw that holds the chrome hot shoe part down (any of the 3 screws holding it down are essentially "live" and could cause problems if they touch the cables inside).

As a quick fix I have tried covering up the screws inside so they don't come in contact with the cables. This has fixed it firing on it's own accord, however putting it back on the 5N, it still won't fire. So it may be the flash I'm trying to use, or needs re-soldering of new cables. Will try when I get more time.

Seumas MacCombie wrote:

-- hide signature --

Waiting for my third one, First one fired when the flash contact passed over the chrome attachment screw once, dud after that. Second one, who ever assembled it had one of the small screws severing the green wire. Third one on it's way. Replacement their first priority and good backup
Seumas MacCombie

O' gies the power, the gift tae gie us, tae see oorsel's as ithers see us

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow