What are you doing for telephoto lenses on the "X" system?

Started Oct 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jeff Morris
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,287Gear list
Like?
I appreciate your comments...
In reply to FOTOKAMAROC, Oct 3, 2012

The fact is I am a hobbyist and enthusiast. Photography has been a passion for me going back since my darkroom days back in the mid 60's. For the last 7 or 8 years I have been shooting Nikon (D70, 200, 300, 700 then D800) I got used to the files. Loved the output and ergonomics of Nikon in general. Then about 3 months ago, I got sick of it all. Sick of schlepping around a bag full of gear, or worse yet, only taking a body and lens or two because of the size of the kit. I got sick of sticking out like a sore thumb with a D700/D800 and 24-70.

So I bought an OM-D E-M5. I love the camera. Even with the grip, the size and weight is near perfect. I started with a 12mm, 17mm and 45mm kit. Then I purchased the Panny 12-35mm at $1,299USD. (Now $1,000USD) and a Panny 100-300.

However, there is something about the output of the OM-D that I find off putting. I don't know if it is the feeling of some type of optical compression, or increased noise or what ever. I can not put my finger on it but I find the difference to be quite noticeable.

I will go out today, and shoot up a storm and come back and evaluate the shots.

I am planning on purchasing a X-E1 with kit lens and using it as my walk around everything kit with a possible 14mm when it comes out. I would keep the E-M5 and use it for tele work and keep that body with the little Panny 14-42 PZ and Panny 100-300. I never had two different systems at the same time for wide/normal shooting and Tele shooting. But I am welling to give it a try.

My thoughts were, if the Panny 12-35 ran $1,299 and the Fuji X-E1 kit ran $1,399 why not use the Fuji instead of the 12-35 and get to know Fuji output and the system in general.

My only real concern was the lack of long lenses on the Fuji system, hence my OP. I would keep the E-M5 for birding and surfing.

If it sounds like I am doing a lot of jumping around and trying different systems, I am! With a Canon or Nikon DSLR system it is a simple matter to use a body that works for you and pick the lenses that fill your needs. The systems are huge with any lens or accessory you can imagine. These new mirror-less systems are no where as mature and one really has to investigate which systems will work best for his or her needs.

Sorry for the long rant.
--
Regards,

Jeff Morris / Homecinemaman

Adams, Gutmann, Steichen, Snoopy, Stigletz, Weston. they lead by example.

I hunt, I peck, I squint, all on a MacBook Pro 13" laptop. So don't laugh, I'm happy there aren't more typo's! (Love the screen and touch pad, hate the keyboard.)

Jeff Morris's gear list:Jeff Morris's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow