Nikon, seriously, where are lenses for "budget"-birders? 300mm f/4?

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Singeri
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Nikon, seriously, where are lenses for "budget"-birders? 300mm f/4?
Oct 3, 2012

Hello everybody, this is my first post.

I've been shooting birds with Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 VR for some time and i'm not really happy with the shots taken with 300mm. I'd like to take my hobby to the next level with a better lens, but I'm only amateur and the Nikkor's reasonably priced tele lens selection is very narrow. There is only 70-200mm 2.8 (too short), and 300mm f/4.

I've got the understanding that 300mm f/4 + 1.4 TC is a very good combo and beats all third party lenses such as bigma. And it's still in the price range of an amateur photographer, who is not very rich or not willing to sell organs for financing the purchases.

It seems that the community has been waiting at least 5 years for an update to 300mm f/4. As everybody is surely aware of, the lens is published 12 years ago. That is a long time in the digital and technological era we are living in. The lens has an ancient manual aperture ring, no back element nor weather sealing. I know it is still a excellent lens, but Nikon, come on. Canon already has 300mm f/4 IS, and there are strong rumors that the 300mm f/4 IS II is knocking on the door. Canon also has the excellent 100-400mm L lens.

What do we Nikonians have for that reach? 12 year old 300mm f/4, and almost as old 80-400mm that is not a reasonable option. Longer or faster tele-lenses designed for professional shooters (5000$+) are updated. But there is no way I can reason that kind of purchase for my hobby. And I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

I'm disappointed that I selected Nikon brand (D7000), because Canon seems to have much better lens options for "budget"-birding. I'm really satisfied with the camera itself though.

Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow