D800 - Can't get sharp images - focus woes

Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
JimFromDenmark
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 - Can't get sharp images - focus woes
In reply to Per Baekgaard, Oct 3, 2012

Per, thanks for your kind support.

Nikon Denmark, approved of a replacement camera, and furthermore, allowing me to test the recently repaired one AND afterwards making my choice between the two. So my situation has wastly improved in the last week.

Although I'm having a hard time choosing. Should I go with the brand new D800, or keep the old repaired one(if AF issue is gone ofc).

Basically I just want a camera that works, I'll report my findings here, when tests are complete.

Jim

Per Baekgaard wrote:

JimFromDenmark wrote:

So now my D800 has stranded in Stockholm, with the Status of:"Missing adjustment tools". It's been there for more than 5 weeks.

Jim, sorry to hear of your troubles. Doesn't sound good ;-(

However, I just wanted to say that I recently had another item spending significantly longer time in Stockholm that yours so far (sent also via DFA).

It was obviously somewhat annoying to be missing one of my workhorse lenses, but in the meantime, DFA did what they could to help me out. And when the repair finally came back, it was better than it had ever been (even when new). So it looks like Stockholm are capable of fixing also weird adjustment problems, and does a high quality job!

I noticed you said that Stockholm reported they are waiting for calibration equipment to do the job: "Missing adjustment tools". That sounds to me like they have in fact identified that there is a problem (otherwise they wouldn't be waiting for tools to make an adjustment).

So I guess they may be waiting for an updated workbench or some additional equipment or instructions from Japan, in line with what others have reported here: It looks like "minor" AF issues can be dealt with by an update of some compensation table in the AF module, but a major misalignment of the AF module -- which you may have -- is not something the service centers had been prepared to do and requires manual work on the alignment followed by a "normal" calibration and update of the tables.

Anyway, this status information may bring some hopes for you to have the camera back in fully working condition!

And just to clarify: I also expect a high-end camera body to have no such problems, and I truly wish yours will be working as well as mine soon; there is no reason you should accept it would not. Out of curiousity: Have you checked if you could borrow another D800 to do the same tests with -- just to rule out any other errors/problems?

-- hide signature --

Per.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
Jim

JimFromDenmark's gear list:JimFromDenmark's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow