Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bartex
Regular MemberPosts: 175Gear list
Like?
D800 or D600 - please help to choose!
Oct 3, 2012

I'm struggling a bit with choosing between D600 or D800.

A bit of background first.

I started my Nikon (and DSLR) journey back in 2004 with D70, then moved to D200 in 2007. Have had quite a few lenses but for some time I was thinking about moving to FX however waiting for D700 successor made me get Fuji x100 last year. At the same time I started selling all DX lenses in preparation for the great move.

Photography wise I'm not a pro. Big hobbist I'd describe myself, taking pictures of everything around me starting with home, my fiancee, dog, cat rabbit etc. to "street photography" (here however x100 is the usual choice) and ending with holiday/hiking/trip photography. My decision to move to FX was due to me wanting more wide angles and better ISO performance (especially in the evenings etc.). I'm not a pixel-freak and I don't even really test my cameras most of the time (I didn't eg. test D200 for front-back focus); much rather prefer spending the time simply taking photos.

Earlier this year when D800 got annoucned I almost got it but got a bit distracted by the rumours of D600. Now with D600 out I'm completely lost which one to get. I'm looking to get a camera for next 5 years (at least) and build my lenses arsenal around it. At the moment I've 24/2.8D, 50/1.4D and 85/1.8G (don't like using zooms as they're too big to my taste).

I love D200 handling and really appreciate it. Also I wouldn't mind 36mpx images (while I also don't mind 10mpx from my D200!). D600 size seems really attractive - could use something smaller. Hate D800 4fps as I often take a shots of animals "in fly". But also I guess it wouldn't be that kind of a difference between 5.5fps from D600. Really liked proper weather-proofness of my D200 as I took it quite a few times onto snow and it delivered exceptional images (memories) without having to worry to much about it!

I'm not worried about the AF problems with D800; I'm loyal to Nikon brand and I'm sure sooner or later they'll sort it out.

The price difference here, in the UK between D600 and D800 is less then £400 which if I consider getting a camera for 5 years it simply tiny difference and one I'm willing to simply omit.

So, still undecided I'd greatly appreciate any more words of advise from people struggling with the same choice or those who already made a choice!

Regards
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bybart/

bartex's gear list:bartex's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +2 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D200 Nikon D600 Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow