Lens for Yellowstone trip (or other wildlife viewing excursions)

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
malathan
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
Lens for Yellowstone trip (or other wildlife viewing excursions)
Oct 3, 2012

I am looking at taking a trip to yellowstone first week of june next year. My current equipment is a 7D, 15-85, and 70-300L.

I am not sure what to expect from being able to photograph wildlife. Will the 70-300L be enough? How close are the animals usually? I am guessing not very when viewing animals out across meadows and such.

My lens won't take a teleconverter, so that option is out. I have thought maybe renting a lens, the 500 f4, but that is looking to be around $600+ expense for the 11 days I wll be gone (4 days travel time to/from). Buying that lens is out of the question (head still realing from sticker shock). But also, I could drop that money into buying a cheap sigma 150-500mm (pays for almost half of one). Would I be better off doing that? What about opteka? are they even worth looking at for situations like this?

My goal is to take some photos of wildlife and relax for the week there (3rd or 4th day of getting up at crack of dawn to see wildlife will probably result in alarm clock in the toilet). Photos are for personal hobby, so while I am a stickler for quality (why I have the 7d and an L lens), I am not ready to drop or waste much more unnecessarily.

Any thoughts and ideas are welcomed.

-- hide signature --

Clayton

(I have my toys and empty wallet, but I am happy)

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow