Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hoboken Michelle
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?
RE: G1-X Autofocus in Dim Light - the final word
Oct 3, 2012

Looking for the real answer to something. Have read plenty of posts on here suggesting that people are mistaking the camera's inability to autofocus specifically to the camera's close/macro focus capability.

However, in reading the camera's review on thephobolographer...

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2012/05/22/review-canon-powershot-g1x/

...it appears that the camera has an inability to focus during street shooting that does include normal shots. So, what should I believe...the "facts" or wishful positives in this forum or what the phoblographer notes...in particular, the following two paragraphs excerpted from the above link:

"The problem is though, that this camera is completely incapable of focusing in even slightly dim light. I don’t just mean slow focusing or hunting–I mean often unable to establish focus at all in less than stellar lighting conditions. It reminds me of what the Fuji X100 was like when it was first released, except often it’s even worse.

Autofocus in decent lighting seems to be tolerable. Not lightning fast, but it certainly didn’t have the trouble that it does as soon as the sun sets. As someone who likes to shoot street photography during sunset, this is incredibly frustrating. I can try over and over again, and the G1 X will just flash the exclamation point at me, reminding me once again that it’s failed to find any sort of focus. In addition, on the rare occasional that it does happen to lock on my subject correctly, it has taken so long to do so that I’ve likely missed the shot anyway. It’s been quite a while since I’ve been this frustrated with a camera’s autofocus system, and I can’t believe Canon let this camera out like this."

Hoboken Michelle's gear list:Hoboken Michelle's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow