Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sebastopolgoose
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?
Climbing Vermont's fourth-highest mountain
Oct 3, 2012

Took a hiking trip last weekend with my college's outdoors club, up Mount Abe, one of the tallest mountains in Vermont. It was only a sunset hike, which meant we arrived at the mountain around 4:30, and more or less jogged up to the summit by around 6. Now, I'm used to Bolivia, where our highest mountains require oxygen to summit, so "Vermont's fourth-highest peak" sounds kind of like "rainiest city in the Sahara". Still, the views from the top were sufficiently spectacular. It was more of a hiking trip than a photography trip, but I did manage to squeeze off a few captures along the way.

All images taken with the OM-D and either the legacy 4/3 9-18mm or Oly 45mm f/1.8.

Elven forest near the summit

As I said, a decent view.

There was a ridge of clouds right at the western horizon, so the sunset wasn't nearly as spectacular as it might otherwise have been. However, I did still get a few minutes of the Golden Hour before it disappeared.

My favorite planet.

And then the sun disappeared.

Some candids and not-so-candids of the other hikers:

The OM-D was really the perfect camera for this sort of outing: small enough not to weigh down my camera pack, durable enough that I didn't care if it dropped, and of course that mind-blowing image quality. The extra few stops of dynamic range really helped with the high-contrast scenes at the top of the mountain. A couple months after buying, I'm still an extremely happy customer.

C&C is welcome, and encouraged!
--

The man who created the hokey pokey died peacefully in his sleep at age 90. The hardest part for his family was putting him into the coffin. They put his left leg in. That was when the trouble started.

My photo blog: http://forestjarvis.blogspot.com/

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow