Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dan Beaty
Regular MemberPosts: 371Gear list
Like?
Upgrading normal lens
Oct 3, 2012

Recently I have found in my budget the possibility to buy some higher quality lenses for my K20d. What I am hoping is to get the best out of this camera for mostly landscape photography.

I have the da16-45 which has great color and center sharpness, but not as good at the edges. I bought a used M 28/2.8 earlier model, which has decent overall sharpness at the apertures I use, but due to a slow aperture mechanism, I have to always use the self timer to get correct exposure and depth of field by stopping down.

Should I invest in repairing it, or is there a sharper lens I can look for in the new or used market that would be a better investment? No, I am not ready to spent the $$$ for the FA31/1.8.

The FA 35/2 is a consideration, but it is not my preferred FL. The DA 35/2.4 gets good reviews, but is it a good long term investment? I am fine with manual focus, even manual aperture, if it gets the extra IQ I am hoping for. Neither do I need super fast apertures for most of my work.

The focal lengths I used most often in 35mm film were 28, 50 and 100 in landscape photography. Is there a zoom that would make a significant upgrade for my purposes?

Years of using 6x7 format in film have me desiring the maximum detail possible in this format, which I do enjoy greatly.

Dan

Dan Beaty's gear list:Dan Beaty's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED +4 more
Pentax K20D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow