V1+lens 399 new. The free fall of the value continues...

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,464Gear list
Like?
Re: Functional Obsolescence is never a good deal
In reply to wlad, Oct 3, 2012

wlad wrote:

we were talking about the whole product line - not just the V1.

The V1 was overpriced as hell - I would not pay for V1 more than $100-150 above the price of the J1. The J1 did sell very well. It was priced competitively at $550 for the 10-30mm kit. It was basically one of the cheapest usable mirrorless camera.
And it beat the cheapest MFT cameras in terms of image quality (DMC-GF2 etc).

Yes, we all agree the V1 was overpriced, and I said already that this is re-pricing is a realignment of Nikon's strategy. The question is - is it a necessary realignment in order to compete at the bottom of the CSC market, or is it a priced-to-dump realignment so that a bigger sensor MILC can come out? And I actually thought it was the former and was initially pleased about it, but when I started to think about it, the absence of any announcements to go along with the marking down of price actually suggests the latter much more. There's lots of overpriced cameras out there, including the OMD which has not come down in price since its launch. But you know what, that shows you how strong the demand for it still is. Clearly Nikon 1 demand is not strong or they would not be pricing to dump - don't get fooled - there's a significant difference between sales and demand.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow